Thursday, April 26, 2007

Musings about the French language

I'm sitting in a self-service restaurant inside the boarding area of Roissy airport in Paris, on a connection from Belgium.

In front of me a sign reads "A L'epoque de Clement Ader". My limited French allows me to understand it is about an engineer from the turn of the (last) century. And it shows some things that happened at his time, such as "1905 - Les frères Wright parcourrent 38km en 38mn sur le Flyer III".

I am considering learning French. It is close to Portuguese and therefore might be easy. You must be touched by the way it sounds. Merci, fermè, non, allez, all sung with mouthful and lippy hisses, like in Marie Antoinette's court.

Plus Paris is an inspiring place and knowing French is really handful there. And France Football and L'Équipe are great papers.

And old French songs are très cool.

All right. Will start learning.

No comments: